8.10.05

lost...

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

if any of you have traveled with me, you pretty much know that i get motion sickness. i remember sitting in the back seat of our old station wagon, in one of those seats that fold out, but the thing is the car seat faces the car thats behind you so you're looking at the driver and whoever else is in the passenger seat. anyways so there i am, probably about 9 or 10 year old, facing a white man and in family in their wood paneled 70's station wagon and totally getting sick. we're headed towards the marina for some fishing or something. i step out of the car and totally yack!!! the good thing was i totally felt better afterwards... nothing like a good purge...


during the flight i felt fine, nothing really happened except for the fact that the guy that i was sitting next to was
totally getting drunk. he kinda started off slowly with a soda and then worked his way up to a bottle of wine and then he started getting whisky and i don't know what else. i told myself that i should just fall asleep. anyways so we're landing at narita airport in japan and the the lights go off saying "please fasten your seltbelts." the guy that's sitting next to me is no where to be found. we land and then guess who pops out of the bathroom? you guessed it, the drunk bastard sitting next to me. can you imagine what it must have been like for him being in the bathroom while the captain is trying to land the plane? good grief! talk about pressure!

so i'm in japan and i surprise myself sometimes. i was able to get off of my flight, get my baggage, listen to some lady throw up while we transfer to another plane and not throw up myself, board another plane, take an hour and half bus ride and make it to the kokura station. all this with just smiling and pointing to the email that i printed out. impressive!
anyways, i'm feeling good, just getting by by nodding and smiling, but it stops there. i'm at the kokura
station and i'm totally lost. the bus driver was kinda giving me directions, but he wasn't very clear and i kind felt like he was all, "get off my bus you stupid american!"

i'm basically standing like a deer in the headlights, not sure whats coming next, but waiting for it to hit me... so my instincts kick in, didn't know i had any. funny.
i turn into a total guy trying to look for things myself without asking, that doesn't work so i head to a convenience store for directions. the lady behind the counter pulls out a note book with english phrases and draws me a map. SCORE! i'm on my way! but after looking at the map again i'm back to square one and in an area that looks somewhat shady... luckily, everyone keeps their distance and i find a police officer. after trying to tell him where i need to go and talking to one of his police buddies who could kinda speak english, they basically tell me to take a taxi. so i'm off, drenched in my own sweat b/c it's so humid out side.

i get to my hotel, or "weekly masion" and finally take a long deserved rest. dude, check out my room! it's no like one of those capsule hotels that you read about! i have my own bathroom, kitchenette, desk, full sized bed, balcony, and internet access!!! SCORE!

0 comments: